From Historic Roadsides of New Jersey by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey, 1928
Edited by GET NJ, COPYRIGHT 2002
Bergen County, created in December, 1682, by Act of
Assembly of East Jersey, dividing the province into the four
counties of Bergen, Essex, Middlesex and Monmouth. The
County was enlarged by Act of January 21, 1709, having
originally consisted only of a narrow strip five or six miles wide
between Hackensack River and Hudson River. It is now
bounded on the north by New York State, on the west by
Passaic and Essex Counties, on the south by Hudson County,
and on the east by the Hudson River. Passaic County was
partly carved out of Bergen County in 1837, and Hudson
County was taken from Bergen County in 1840.
A small village on the Hudson, about five miles southeast of Hackensack. The Fort was three hundred feet above the river. Fort Lee was, in 1776, the site of a Fort, which, with Fort Washington on the east side of the Hudson River, was supposed to command the river. When Fort Washington was taken by the British November 16, 1776, it was necessary for the Continentals to evacuate Fort Lee, which was done November 20, 1776. General Greene commanded the retreating troops, crossing the Hackensack River north of Hackensack at Old Bridge, later known as New Bridge, and more recently as River Edge. The site of the old bridge has been located.
A few miles below Fort Lee, where a ferry existed for more than a half century, the site of a small block-house held by the British. General Anthony Wayne made an unsuccessful attempt, July 20, 1780, to storm the block-house. The tradition is that the British defenders of the block-house had but a single round of ammunition left when the assault was given up.
Site of Tory attacks in 1779.
Here lived Peter Lutkins, at whose home Washington slept on one occasion.
The Liberty Pole is the third which has stood upon this site, the first being a tree from which floated the American Flag during the entire Revolutionary War, the present pole being erected by the Society of the Daughters of the Revolution of Englewood.
On road from Hackensack to Suffern. Here resided Colonel Provost, first husband of Madam Jumel, who later married Aaron Burr.
County Seat of Bergen County on west bank of Hackensack River. The town is ancient. The first building of the Dutch Church erected in 1696. In and near Hackensack repeated conflicts occurred between the British, Hessians and Refugees and the Continentals and Patriots. In September, 1777, Lieutenant Colonel Aaron Burr surprised the British Picket Guard at Hackensack and dispersed them after killing a considerable number. The following day the British abandoned the place. The stone Academy, presided over by Peter Wilson, LL.D., a Scotchman, was erected in 1762. Wilson was subsequently Professor of Languages at Columbia College and is buried near the grave of Brigadier General Enoch Poor in the graveyard of the First Reformed Dutch Church. A monument to the memory of Brigadier General Enoch Poor was erected opposite the Court House. Poor, a Brigadier General of the State of New Hampshire, under the command of Lafayette, died September 8, 1780. Lafayette visited his grave in 1824.
The "Mansion House" was formerly the residence of Peter Zabriskie, where General Washington made his headquarters in 1776. Built in 1751. Became a tavern known as Albany Stage Coach. The tap room was occupied in 1825 by the Weehawken Bank. Room 19 is the traditional room occupied by George Washington. Marked by bronze tablet erected by Bergen County Historical Society.
Above Huyler's Landing on the Hudson River. Raided by the Refugees July 10, 1779. Captain Harring and Thomas Branch, with a few of the neighbors hastily collected, attacked the Refugees, and took prisoners. To escape, the Refugees cut the cable of their vessel and let it drift with the tide, staying below decks.
The Historic Roadsides in New Jersey
Table of Contents