SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Marketing - SEM
Domains For Sale
George Washington Bridge Bike Path and Pedestrian Walkway
Corona Extra Beer Subliminal Advertising
Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
The Tunnel Bar
La Cosa Nostra
Jersey City Free Books
From Historic Roadsides of New Jersey by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey, 1928
Edited by GET NJ, COPYRIGHT 2002
New Jersey Bank of the Delaware, Now Washington's Crossing
Here Washington's Army Landed Christmas Night, 1776
Old Barracks at Trenton, Erected 1758-59
Mercer County, organized in 1838, was formed out of
portions of Hunterdon, Burlington, and Middlesex Counties,
and was named in honor of General Mercer, slain at the battle
(at one time called McKonkey's
Ferry, later Bernardsville, or Eight Mile Ferry)
On the Delaware where Washington crossed Christmas night 1776 previous to
the attack upon the Hessians at Trenton. The site is being developed as a memorial park by the State. Tavern at Washing,
ton's Crossing figures in the crossing of the Delaware by Continentals.
Home of "Honest John Hart" one of the
signers of the Declaration of Independence.
McKonkey's Ferry House,|
Home of Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey
First settlement at the Falls of the Delaware
made about 1679. Meeting house built about 1690 at Fallsington. Trenton, originally called Stacy's Mills after Mahlon
Stacy, builder of the mills, was named from Colonel William
Trent, who purchased a farm of eight hundred acres on Assunpink Creek in 1714. Trent was, in 1723, Speaker of the New
Jersey Assembly and Commissioner for Hunterdon County.
The County Courts which had been previously held at Hopewell were removed to Trenton in 1719. Battle of Trenton took
place December 26, 1776.
Points of interest:
- Five Points, where Washington's troops came into position
and planted cannon, marked by Trenton Battle Monument.
- Site of Hessian Sentry Post, opposite St. Mary's Cathedral.
- House where Colonel Rahl died. Marked by a tablet.
West side of Warren Street.
- Home of Stacy Potts.
- Site of Hessian Surrender, approximately near the Public
Service Building, East State Street. Tablet marks spot.
- Old Barracks, built by British at the time of French and
Indian War, containing collection of relics and antiques of
exceptional value. Building reproduced as New Jersey
State Building at Sesqui-Centennial.
- Douglas House, now facing on Stacy Park and not in original location. Washington held a council of war here
January 2, 1777, with his officers, in which the plan of
escape from Trenton and attack on Princeton was made.
Original site of Douglas House marked by a tablet.
- Governor's Mansion. South Warren Street. Site of the
Hunterdon County Court House and meetings of Continental Congress.
- Stone marking achievements of John Fitch, who sailed his
steamboat on the Delaware prior to Fulton's boat on the
- Site of Triumphal Arch in honor of Washington, on
South Broad Street.
- Bloomsbury Court. South Warren Street. Home of
William Trent, founder of Trenton. Later home of Cox
family. Washington, Lafayette, and Rochambeau enter,
tained here. An ash tree planted by William Trent still
stands in the Colonial Garden.
- The Hermitage. On the River Road. Erected by the
Rutherfurd family prior to Revolution. Purchased by
General Philemon Dickinson in July 1776 after the Declaration of Independence. John Adams was entertained
here by General Dickinson in 1777 and later was here during the cholera scare in Philadelphia in 1798.
- Bow Hill. Three-quarters of a mile from Trenton. Lalor
Road near Deklyn Lane. Red brick house famous as the
home of Annette Savage of Philadelphia for whom the
house was rented by Joseph Bonaparte. The house was
jocosely called "Beau Hill."
- Methodist Episcopal Church. South Broad Street.
- Presbyterian Church. East State Street. Chartered by
George II in 1756.
- Friends Meeting House built 1739. Hanover and Mont,
- St. Michael's Episcopal Church.
Site of Battle of Assunpink or Trenton Bridge January 2, 1777. Behind this stream watch fires
were kept burning while Washington's Army marched from
Trenton to Princeton. After taking Trenton December 26,
the Continentals crossed the Delaware and remained for several
days, returning again and taking possession of Trenton where
they remained until January 2, 1777. The British Army on
the apposite side of Assunpink, expected an engagement the
following day. During the night Washington, leaving his fires
burning and sentries posted, marched around the British Army
toward Princeton, which he reached the following morning.
The first information of his retreat received by the British was
the sound of firing from the direction of Princeton.
(originally called Maidenhead) About five
and one-half miles northeast of Trenton on the road between
Trenton and Princeton. Site of a Presbyterian Church built
1752 and of Lawrenceville School. The British passed through
Lawrenceville in pursuit of the Continental Army on the night
of the Battle of Princeton.
Nassau Hall, Princeton
Site of Princeton University, formerly The
College of New Jersey. The College, originally chartered by
John Hamilton, acting Governor 1746-7, was first located at
Elizabeth, where Rev. Jonathan Dickinson was President. Subsequently it removed to Newark where Rev. Aaron Burr became President. In 1757 it removed to Princeton where
Nassau Hall, first college building, was erected and named at
the request of Governor Belcher in memory of King William III. Nassau Hall was occupied by the British as a barracks
and stable during the occupancy of the town. The original
building was partially destroyed by fire in 1802 but the stone
walls remaining standing were utilized in its re-erection. The
chapel had a picture of George II which was shot from the
frame during the battle and later replaced by a picture of Washington by Peale.
Princeton was the birthplace of Richard Stockton, a signer
of the Declaration of Independence, who is buried in the
Friends Burial Ground near Princeton. Commodore William
Bainbridge, Rev. John Witherspoon, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and President of Princeton College are
buried in the Princeton Burial Ground, as is also Aaron Burr,
once Vice President of the United States.
Stoney Brook Bridge, Princeton
Points of interest:|
- Princeton Battle Monument.
- Clarke House.
- Nassau Hall.
- Monument to General Mercer.
- Princeton Cemetery.
- Quaker Meeting House.
- Stoney Brook Burial Ground.
- Tablet marking road to Morristown.
- Monument to British and American Soldiers.
- Tusculum. Home of John Witherspoon -- in the suburbs
- Battlefield Farm.
- Castle Howard.
- Beatty House.
- First Presbyterian Church.
- Prospect. Farmhouse of Colonel George Morgan.
Congress Hall, Princeton
Jersey City Garden Post Card (196 Ogden Ave., original, not mailed) $4.00
Mail your check to Anthony Olszewski, 297 Griffith St, Jersey City, N.J., 07307
To pay by PayPal, e-mail Anthony.Olszewski@gmail.com
The Hudson River Is Jersey City's Arena For Water Sports!