Main Menu | NJ Bicycle Routes | Great Jersey City Stories | New Jersey History | Hudson County Politics | Hudson County Facts | New Jersey Mafia | Hal Turner, FBI Informant | Email this Page
Removing Viruses and Spyware | Reinstalling Windows XP | Reset Windows XP or Vista Passwords | Windows Blue Screen of Death | Computer Noise | Don't Trust External Hard Drives! | Jersey City Computer Repair
Advertise Online SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Marketing - SEM Domains For Sale George Washington Bridge Bike Path and Pedestrian Walkway Corona Extra Beer Subliminal Advertising Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Pet Care The Tunnel Bar La Cosa Nostra Jersey City Free Books

From Historic Roadsides of New Jersey by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey, 1928
Edited by GET NJ, COPYRIGHT 2002

SALEM COUNTY

Salem County was a part of the land embraced in Fenwick's Colony which extended from Oldman's Creek to Cohan, sick or Cohansey Creek. It was originally settled by a company of English from New Haven, Connecticut, under the leadership of Theophilus Eaton. The settlement, made on the farm known as the Amos Harris Farm at the mouth of Salem Creek, did not last long. The next settlement was at Fort Elfsborg, which was built about March 1, 1642-43, on the eastern Bank of Salem River near its mouth. This fort, constructed by Swedes under Governor Printz, was commanded by Sven Skute. Subsequently it became untenable because of mosquitoes and was called Myggenborg, the "Mosquito Fort."

CARNEY'S POINT
A Dutch settlement antedating Fenwick. The Indian Deed to Fop. Janssen Outhout, dated 1664-5, is still on record.

FINN'S POINT or Pompion's Hook or Fort Mott.
Settled early and first called Finn's Town Hook.

PEDRICKTOWN
named for Rodger Pedrick, whose one thousand acres was surveyed June 17, 1682.

PILESGROVE
Named for Thomas Pile, whose ten thousand acres was laid out to him in 1682.

PENN'S NECK
Thirty-two, thousand acres set off to William Penn in 1706.

FENWICK GROVE
Upper Mannington, home of John Fenwick, who lived, died, and is buried there. Marked by monument erected July 4, 1924, on Highway from Salem to Woodstown.

WISTARBURG
Two miles east of Alloway. Site of the Glass Works of Casper Wistar, whose factory was built 1739.

FRIESBURG Founded 1748 near Alloway by Germans who had worked in Wistar's Glass Works.

  1. German Lutheran Church started 1740.
PITTSGROVE or Champney Corner, commonly called Pole Tavern.
Eastern boundary of Fenwick. The first regularly equipped military organization for defense with barracks or ganized there. The barracks are still standing. The volunteer company formed was officered by Captain Jacob duBois and Lieutenant Peter duBois, who, together with many privates of the same name, were descendants of Louis duBois, a Huguenot, who settled in New Paltz, New York, in 1660.

Points of interest:

  1. Site of Champney's Tavern, commonly called Pole Tavern, because a Liberty Pole was erected on the green in front of the tavern during the Revolution.
  2. The old barracks.
  3. On the green in front of the town hall is a brass six pounder bearing the date 1763. Its history is as follows:
    Taken from the Italians by Napoleon Bonaparte in his second campaign in Italy, afterward captured from the French by the Duke of Wellington in the Spanish Peninsula campaign; later taken from the British at Lundy's Lane by General Scott; finally rendering service in the Mexican War and returning with Colonel Dickinson to his home in Salem County, New Jersey.

DARETOWN
Two miles below Pole Tavern. Here stands the ancient brick church built in 1740, called the Pittsgrove Presbyterian Church. It was built on land obtained from Louis duBois, who with his brother, Barent duBois, emigrated from New Paltz, New York, to Pittsgrove Township, purchased in 1714 by their father, Jacob duBois, son of Louis duBois, the Huguenot, from Daniel Cox of Burlington, New Jersey. The graveyard contains the remains of many Revolutionary soldiers among them being those of Colonel William Shute. He was a Lieutenant in the French and Indian War under General Samuel Hunt, New Jersey Provincial Troops, as well as a Colonel in the Revolution. He served at the battle of Quinton's Bridge, and was one of those listed as a target for British vengeance by Colonel Mawhood.

Signature and Seal of John Fenwick

QUINTON'S BRIDGE
Alloways Creek, about three miles from Salem. Scene of desperate engagement between the British under Colonel Charles Mawhood and Continentals March 18, 1778. The Continental Militia defended Hancock and Quinton Bridges, seeking to prevent the British crossing. Site marked by small monument at Quinton erected by Oak Tree Chapter, D.A.R., on Main Street at the homestead of Captain William Smith, October 17, 1908.

HANCOCK HOUSE. HANCOCK'S BRIDGE
Home of Judge William Hancock, owner of the house and friend of the Governor, who was shot in the attack of the British upon the house. The Continentals ultimately retired from Quinton's Bridge and the British took possession later returning to Philadelphia. The attack on the Hancock House is known as the "Massacre at Hancock Bridge." Tablet on Hancock Bridge House to commemorate massacre, erected by Oak Tree Chapter, D.A.R., 1903.

WOODSTOWN
Named from Jackanias Wood, whose home is still standing there. Settled early by the Friends. Meeting House erected about 1726.

  1. "Glory" built 1755. Noted for meals served at 15 and rum 11 1/2 per quart.
  2. Woodsboro House, built 1797.
RAMAPO
Two and one-half miles from Woodstown. Site of the Seven Stars, built 1765.
Hancock House, Hancock's Bridge

Ancient Oak, Salem

The Plaque Reads:
Friends Burial Ground
A.D. 1676
This Oak Tree, A Survivor of the Original Forest, Was Standing Here When Salem was Founded by John Fenwick in 1675. It is Eighty-eight Feet High and Its Foliage Covers One-quarter of an Acre
"This Tablet Was Erected on October 10th, 1925 by the New Jersey Society of Pennsylvania on the Quarter Millennial Anniversary of the Founding of Salem"

SALEM
On Salem River, thirty-four miles southeast of Philadelphia. The first English settlement in New Jersey was probably in the vicinity of the site of Salem. After the Duke of York had granted the Province of New Jersey to Berkeley and Carteret, Edward Byllynge purchased from Berkeley a tract for one thousand pounds. In 1675, Fenwick sailed from London in the Griffin, and landed at Fort Elfsborg September 23, 1675, and went to the spot named by him Salem. The town was laid out in 1675, incorporated in 1695. In 1774 the people collected $700.00 for the relief of the City of Boston. March 15, 1778, Colonel Mawhood landed at Billingsport and advanced to Salem which he occupied about March 16, 1778.

Points of interest:

  1. Friends Meeting House, head of Walnut Street.
  2. Alexander Grant House, erected 1721. Market Street, west side, home of Salem County Historical Society.
  3. Capitol House, erected 1691. Foot of West Broadway.
  4. Guilford Hall, erected 1687. Johnson Street near East Broadway.
  5. St. John's Episcopal Church. East side of Market Street, deed to congregation given 1721.
  6. Salem Oak.
  7. Court House marked by tablet erected by Society of Colonial Wars on 250th Anniversary of founding of Salem.

Tablet on Court House at Salem

Return To
The Historic Roadsides in New Jersey
Table of Contents

Hudson County Facts  by Anthony Olszewski - Hudson County History
Print Edition Now on Sale at Amazon

Read Online at
Google Book Search

Order a Copy by Mail
Send $3 to:
Anthony Olszewski
P.O. Box 3362
Jersey City, NJ 07303

Advertiser and Distributor
Inquiries Welcome

Jersey City Garden Post Card (196 Ogden Ave., original, not mailed) – $4.00
Mail your check to Anthony Olszewski, P.O. Box 3362, Jersey City, N.J., 07303
To pay by PayPal, e-mail info@cityofjerseycity.org

The Hudson River Is Jersey City's Arena For Water Sports!

Questions? Need more information? Contact us at:

GET NJ
P.O. Box 3362
Jersey City, NJ 07303

getnj@getnj.com