From Historic Roadsides of New Jersey by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey, 1928
Edited by GET NJ, COPYRIGHT 2002
Somerset County was first settled by the Dutch and was
set off from Middlesex County as a separate County in 1688.
Points of interest:
In the village graveyard is buried Captain William Leslie,
son of the Earl of Leven, killed January 3, 1777, at Princeton.
His monument was erected by Dr. Benjamin Rush of
VICINITY of Pluckemin
Settled by Scotch Proprietors.
One mile southeast of Basking Ridge stood "the Buildings," the house erected in 1761 by Lord Stirling, a Major General in the Continental Army during the Revolution and subsequently the scene of many social events. A part of the original house is incorporated in the present structure.
Six miles northwest of Somerville. Site of encampment of part of the American Army during the winter of 1778-9. The village was raided by the British in December, 1776. St. Paul's Church was used as a temporary prison for two hundred and thirty British soldiers taken prisoners, at Battle of Princeton.
Points of interest:
In the village graveyard is buried Captain William Leslie, son of the Earl of Leven, killed January 3, 1777, at Princeton. His monument was erected by Dr. Benjamin Rush of Philadelphia.
VICINITY of Pluckemin
Of Revolutionary or post-Revolutionary origin. At the out-break of the Revolution, a tavern stood on the site of The Somerville House. Millstone was the County Seat and when the Court House there was burned by the British October, 1779, the County Seat was removed to Somerville, then called Raritan, about 1784. A Court House and jail built of logs was constructed. The place continued to be known as Raritan until 1809-10. The Church of Raritan was organized March, 1690. The church was burned in 1779 by the British under Colonel Simcoe, and was subsequently rebuilt in combination with the Court House, the congregation contributing one-half of the total cost, and the County paying the balance.
The first Somerset County Court House was erected at Six Mile Run, now Franklin Park. The site was marked November 15, 1910, by a boulder placed by the Historical Society of Somerset County, bearing a bronze tablet furnished by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey. It is placed upon the southeast corner of the lot facing the road from Franklin Park to New Brunswick.
Somerville was the home of Frederick Frelinghuysen, a member of the Continental Congress at the age of twenty-two, who saw service at Trenton and Monmouth, and subsequently became United States Senator.
The second Somerset County Court House was at Millstone. On October 28, 1911, the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey, the Sons of the Revolution and the Somerset County Historical Society erected a bronze tablet on the site to commemorate this building.
In the town of Finderne, about three miles from the Wallace House, is the Van Veghten House, which was occupied by General Greene and his staff during the winter of 1778-9.
Supposed to have been originally called Boundary Brook. Settled about 1700. Americans defeated at Bound Brook 1777 by British, under Cornwallis. Site of engagement marked by boulder, at east end of Main Street, bearing bronze tablet commemorating the Battle of Bound Brook, April 13, 1777, between General Lincoln and the British Troops.
SOUTH BOUND BROOK
Staats or Latourette House. Headquarters of Baron Steuben while Continental Army was at Camp Middlebrook.
On road from Bound Brook to Somerville, Van Horne House. West of the Middlebrook, north of the highway from Bound Brook to Somerville, home of Philip Van Horne, a Judge of the Common Pleas of Somerset County in pre-Revolutionary days. In winter of 1778-9, occupied by Lord Stirling as his headquarters.
Site of the encampment of Washington and his army from May 28 to June 14, 1778. The first camp was in Washington's Valley about one mile from Martinsville, three miles from Bound Brook. Three earth forts were erected guarding the Valley, one of which still exists in a good state of preservation. The second encampment at Middlebrook was from November 28, 1778, to June 3, 1779. The site of the encampment has now been taken over by the Borough to be maintained as a public park.
Fourteen miles from Somerville, four miles from Princeton, mansion built 1734 by judge John Berrien, appointed judge of Somerset County 1739 and Justice of the Supreme Court 1764. Washington's headquarters from August 24 to November 10, 1783. Here he wrote his farewell address to the Army. Rocky Hill has been furnished by dif- ferent Societies and contains a collection of most interesting relics.
Tablet marking route of Washington to Morristown.
The Historic Roadsides in New Jersey
Table of Contents