SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Marketing - SEM
Domains For Sale
George Washington Bridge Bike Path and Pedestrian Walkway
Corona Extra Beer Subliminal Advertising
Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
The Tunnel Bar
La Cosa Nostra
Jersey City Free Books
Jersey City And Its Historic Sites
By Harriet Phillips Eaton
This Web version, edited by GET NJ
1824 saw the opening of Dummer's Glass Works on Communipaw Cove, west of Washington street and south of Morris Canal. The site is now occupied by the sugar house. The flint glass of these works, started in 1824, has never been excelled. In 1825 the Jersey Porcelain and Earthen Ware Company was incorporated in the Town of Jersey, County of Bergen. Under the Act of Legislature George Dummer, Timothy Dewey, Henry Post, Jr., William W. Shirley and Robert Abbatt, Jr., were named as incorporators. In 1826, at the exhibition of the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, a silver medal was awarded to this pottery for the "best china from American materials." This pottery is exceedingly interesting from the fact that it was the pioneer in America along several lines; it was the first to manufacture porcelain, for which French workmen had been brought over. For three years they manufactured porcelain of good body and excellent glaze. About 1829 Messrs. D. and J. Henderson bought the works and manufactured flint stone ware of superior quality.
The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and The Central Railroad Terminal
Visit Liberty State Park!