Main Menu | NJ Bicycle Routes | Great Jersey City Stories | New Jersey History | Hudson County Politics | Hudson County Facts | New Jersey Mafia | Hal Turner, FBI Informant | Email this Page
Removing Viruses and Spyware | Reinstalling Windows XP | Reset Windows XP or Vista Passwords | Windows Blue Screen of Death | Computer Noise | Don't Trust External Hard Drives! | Jersey City Computer Repair
Advertise Online SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Marketing - SEM Domains For Sale George Washington Bridge Bike Path and Pedestrian Walkway Corona Extra Beer Subliminal Advertising Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Pet Care The Tunnel Bar La Cosa Nostra Jersey City Free Books

Millburn: 1857 - 1957

By the Millburn Centennial Committee

Originally appeared in 1957
This Web version, copyright 2004

Suburban Essex County Real Estate Ads – great schools, wonderful atmosphere and only 37 minutes by train to NYC!

  • The Millburn Municipal Band

  • The Neighborhood House
  • However, in those homes, as was everywhere still true, life was real and life was earnest, and the matrons of the households with leisure at their disposal, over and above the management of their estabhshments, devoted much of their time to social welfare work and horticulture.

    Thus, organizations like the Neighborhood House and garden clubs came into being. In February, 1894, Mrs. Stewart Hartshorn organized the "Ladies Relief Society of the Civic League of Millburn Township" on account of "unusual depression and consequent lack of employment." The purpose of this group was "to visit all cases of destitution, make a thorough investigation, and give relief (chiefly food and clothing) in proportion to the needs of the destitute." In 1900 it became the "Relief Association of Millburn," and in 1903 it changed its name to "Neighborhood Association of Millburn Township" with Mrs. Stewart Hartshorn its first President. In 1918 the house at 12 Taylor Street was given by Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor. From this worthy beginning and the social consciousness of a few women grew the present "Neighborhood House," a social service organization which provides assistance to all citizens, in many community social needs.

    The Short Hills Garden Club was formed as the successor to the "9 of Spades" club organized in 1906 by nine women devoted to gardening, and in 1913 it became one of the 12 founder members of the Garden Club of America. Many beautiful and unusual gardens were developed in Short Hills in those years, a few of which are still in existence.

    By the semi-centennial year 1907 Millburn Township had taken a long leap into the 20th century, and had also taken steps to consolidate all the sections of the community into one working unit.


    Millburn: 1857 - 1957 Main Page

    08/18/2012 11:10 PM
    Computer Repair Blog
    XP Local Area Connection stuck at Acquiring Network Address

    Jersey City History
    Your Ancestors' Story
    Asbury Park
    Bruce Springsteen's Jersey Shore Rock Haven!

    The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and The Central Railroad Terminal
    Visit Liberty State Park!

    Questions? Need more information about this Web Site? Contact us at:
    297 Griffith St.
    Jersey City, NJ 07307