Main Menu | NJ Bicycle Routes | Great Jersey City Stories | New Jersey History | Hudson County Politics | Hudson County Facts | New Jersey Mafia | Hal Turner, FBI Informant | Email this Page
Removing Viruses and Spyware | Reinstalling Windows XP | Reset Windows XP or Vista Passwords | Windows Blue Screen of Death | Computer Noise | Don't Trust External Hard Drives! | Jersey City Computer Repair
Advertise Online SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Marketing - SEM Domains For Sale George Washington Bridge Bike Path and Pedestrian Walkway Corona Extra Beer Subliminal Advertising Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Pet Care The Tunnel Bar La Cosa Nostra Jersey City Free Books

A Guide To Its Present And Past
Compiled and Written by the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for the State of New Jersey
American Guide Series

Originally published in 1939
Some of this information may no longer be current and in that case is presented for historical interest only.

Edited by GET NJ, COPYRIGHT 2003

Tour 18
Junction with US 1–Woodbridge–Perth Amboy–Freehold–Lakewood–Toms River–Tuckerton–Cape May; US 9,

LAKEWOOD, 38.2 miles (80 alt., 5,000 pop.), once a small settlement built around an iron works, is today dependent on a winter resort business promoted by the dry, temperate climate of the pine district. John D. Rockefeller Sr. had an estate here and there were other costly houses along the shores of Lake Carasaljo. US 9, running through the center of town, is lined almost solidly with frame and stucco hotels, some of them reflecting in unkempt lawns the business lost in recent years when many wealthy patrons began to take their winter vacations in the South.

Establishment of a smelter in 1812, to utilize bog-iron deposits, gave town the name of Washington Furnace. Later the community became known as Bergen Works and next as Bricksburg, in honor of James W. the ironmaster. Two New York Stock Exchange brokers bought 19,000 acres of pine woods in 1879 and built the Laurel House, which entertained Rudyard Kipling, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Mark Twain, Wil- liam Faversham, Emma Calve, and other celebrities. It was torn down several years ago.

Around LAKE CARASALJO, with its borders of pines, cedars, and laurels, elaborate cottages and grounds were built by the Astors, Vander- Goulds, Rockefellers, Tilfords, Kipps, Rhinelanders, and other so- cially prominent New Yorkers of the 90's. The name of the lake is a combination of Carrie, Sally, and Josephine, daughters of Brick.

GEORGIAN COURT COLLEGE (visited only by permission) occupies a 200-acre campus on the northern side of the lake. Originally a Catholic institution for girls in Plainfield, its collegiate division was moved in 1923 George J. Gould estate in Lakewood. The buildings are surrounded by sunken gardens, formal Italian gardens, Japanese gardens, and a golf course. Fountains and statuary are lavishly disposed about the grounds. The stables of the estate were so elegantly appointed that it was a simple matter to convert them into women's dormitories.

The NEWMAN SCHOOL FOR Boys (open daily 9-5), a Catholic institution, occupies two former estates on the lake. The lawn before LOCKE HALL, the central structure, slopes down to a pool surrounded by hundreds of daffodils and narcissi that make a brilliant spring display.

Lakewood is at the junction (L) with State 35 (see Tour 22).

At 38.6 miles is the junction (R) with an unnumbered road (see Tour 26).

At the southern end of Lakewood the SITE OF THE OLD BERGEN IRON WORKS (L) is recognizable from the highway.

Between Lakewood and Toms River the highway runs through pine country, though much of the growth is stunted. In the swampy ground by the road are cranberry bogs. Bracken and other common ferns thrive in ditches and beneath trees. The ground is uniformly flat and sandy. drained by sluggish little streams and creeks.

At 40.9 miles (R) is a relic of a vanished community, the remodeled inn known as SEVEN STARS TAVERN. The original tavern of that name, a stagecoach station on the Barnegat Bay-Freehold route, received its name after a guest, lying on his couch, was able to count seven stars through a hole in the roof; though the proprietor probably repaired the roof after further complaints, the nickname stuck.

At 47.5 miles is the junction with State 37 (see Tour 30).

Tour 18 Main Menu

Return To
New Jersey: The American Guide Series
Table of Contents

Hudson County Facts  by Anthony Olszewski - Hudson County History
Print Edition Now on Sale at Amazon

Read Online at
Google Book Search

The Hudson River Is Jersey City's Arena For Water Sports!

Questions? Need more information about this Web Site? Contact us at:
297 Griffith St.
Jersey City, NJ 07307